Kia ora, Welcome
The vision of the 1000 Days Trust is for every new parent in Southland to:
- Celebrate their baby and themselves as a treasure to their baby
- Be inspired about being a parent
- Understand their baby’s signals and needs
- Feel able to seek our help if needed
- Be supported and nurtured by their whanau and community
- Engage in a kaupapa that resonates with traditional wisdom
The 1000 Days Trust aims to establish a specialised service available to at-risk Southland babies and families during the first 1000 days of a child’s life. The Trust has developed a true early intervention model, which aims to promote early healthy parent/infant relationships, and assists with the prevention of secondary problems that may arise from a broad range of early risk factors. The 1000 Days model consists of a residential service, and a comprehensive follow on programme for whānau.
The intended outcome of the 1000 Days model is to empower mothers and/or fathers to establish healthy and positive relationships with their children, with the tools to nurture them to reach their full potential.
This is a truly aspirational project, which has the potential to change the trajectory for 1000s of Southland babies and their families.